Monday, February 25, 2013

Saturday

I woke up giddy. Today I'd pass my Graduate studies application form. I went to La Salle, armed with my long envelope, straight to the admissions office. Time check: 12:30 pm. There was a long line. I guess there isn't a lunch break on Saturdays as the personnel continued to process applications even at this hour. I sat there, feeling a little nervous. My papers were still incomplete. My transcript of records was still being processed at UP. I didn't know that first time applicants for TOR would need to wait for 1-2 months to get a copy of grades. When I requested last January, I thought I would have it in two weeks, just in time for the 1st term application period in DLSU. Application for 1st term was in February.

So when it was already my turn, I presented my papers: app form, letters of recommendation, good moral cert, CV, and personal statement.

"Where's your TOR?"
"Pwede bang to follow na lang once admitted?"

The person I talked to was accomodating naman but he was new so he consulted a senior staff regarding my inquiry. But unfortunately, they said they couldn't process the application without the TOR since it's one of the major requirements.

I argued (of course, amicably) : "But this is just for testing permit pa lang naman right? I'm not even sure if I'll get admitted pa (insert weak smile here). Hindi ba talaga pwedeng to follow?"

"Sorry ma'am but as early as now we need to have the TOR so we can do pre-evaluation. Don't worry may second term pa naman. I'm sure your TOR will be ready by then. Ang tagal pala ng processing ng UP."

I thanked him and got out of the office. I couldn't smile after that. How stupid of me to think that the record of grades would be insignificant. Yes, I got accepted at work without presenting any TOR but this is the academe we're talking about genius girl. Should've could've secured all the requirements first instead of relying on gut feel.

February isn't my month. I wondered, on the way home, what else could possibly go wrong. I got depressed. Ivan advised me to call DLSU first thing today (Monday) and ask if I can present the receipt of my TOR request and if it will suffice at this point. That was a good idea. But, surprise surprise. I cannot find the receipt. I cannot. I've searched every nook and cranny of our house. It's clear to me that I've put it inside my red document envelope where all important life documents are, the one I've had since 4th year high school. But it wasn't there. FML. Dear God are you trying to tell me something? I swear if it turns up some time in April I am going to go crazy.

Ok, I know there's always the second term. And maybe, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Nonetheless, it's frustrating. That old cliche of taking away candy from a child, even before she can sink her teeth into it. But this is my lifelong dream and,come hell or high water, I will chase it and fight for it. But if I want to win, first things first, I have to make sure all my guns are locked and loaded. Now, let's get those requirements completed.

2 comments: