Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Goodbye Kafka, Veronika, and Lestat

I have to admit that it's a bit sad to let go of my books. Some I had way back in college as part of required reading in my English classes. Most of them, though, I bought with my hard earned money when I started working.

Books. They're the equivalent of retail therapy to me. Some girls buy clothes, others shoes, but me I buy books to make me feel better. Sometimes, I'm even hesitant to buy new clothes. But if I find a book I like, I'll buy it, I wouldn't even think twice. So, yeah, it's hard to part with all the stories I've read and related to all these past years. Of course, there are books I would never sell like Anansi Boys, Cunnigham's The Hours, my Harry Potter series, my Ian Rankin collection. Those will stay put. I plan to pass it on to my sons and daughters in the near future.

But then again, there's a silver lining (aside from earning a little extra). To be honest, I don't get much out of selling them anyway. I just wanted to clear out some shelf space at first. Sorry, I digress. The silver lining: whenever a customer (customer talaga? hahahaha) says "Thank you" and you see that they're really happy with the books - like they've found a long lost friend.

I have been meeting up with buyers and it has been an interesting experience so far. Especially for an anti-social, introvert like moi. Last Friday I met this mom who studied Lit during her undergrad years. She's older than my mom who's in her late 40s. We've chatted a bit and I learned that she works as a call center representative to support her child and she claimed, good-naturedly, to be the oldest rep in her department. She loves reading; she bought Murakami, Vonnegut, and Garcia Marquez from me. I told her to please explain Kafka on the Shore to me when she's done reading it. I have never been a fan of Murakami and I won't pretend that I understand half of the time what he was trying to say in the novel.

Somehow, meeting different people - book lovers like me, nonetheless - leaves me smiling. And when you feel that there's a connection between you and this complete stranger through your shared interest in books, that's, well, priceless.
  
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't it feel wonderful to meet people who have the same passion in reading as you do? And don't you find it comforting to know that your pre-loved tomes have found new homes? Of course, there are certain titles one cannot part from. For me, its my Umberto Eco collection. Given, that finding his works is already a difficult task to begin with.

    Cheerio! :)

    ReplyDelete