Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What do you do All day?

I chanced upon this book while I was browsing through Booksale in search of a second-hand “Perfume”. I’m trying to find every book in the “1,001 books you must read before you die” list. I was debating on whether to get “The Color Purple” or “What Do you do all day?” and I finally purchased the latter, thinking I’ve glossed its title over the 1,001 list. Surprise, surprise. I reviewed the list come Monday to cross it out (yeah, I know what a geek I am) and I realized it wasn’t there.

Anyway, I’ve been reading through a couple of chick lit recently and I enjoyed reading this book. It’s about the modern American stay-at home mom who most of the time thinks about the things they miss when they decide to stay at home completely with their kids. The thing I liked about the book is that it’s not at all dramatic, no woe-is-me moments. It’s narrated in a breezy tone; humorous and well-written. The kind of book that’s simple enough to capture the mundane, so that the readers also understand well enough the dilemmas presented in the plot.

I guess the gist of the novel is that you cannot have the best of both worlds. Working mom or housewife, there will be certain things that you will need to sacrifice once you’ve chosen which path you want to take. The key is in appreciating what it is you’ve got and find a way to fill in what you think is missing.

It was a good weekend read. I also liked the popsicle-stained book cover. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment