Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Backbends


Well, you can say I'm pretty out of sorts lately. Frustrated might even be the right term. So when I went to belly dance class last night, I was in a distracted mood. Not to make excuses of my not so perfect performance, but to describe how worse it even became given the funk that I am in. Usually, I look forward to dance class because it provides some form of comic relief from my manic Mondays. My class is on Monday nights, by the way.

Nobody ever warned me that belly dancing is difficult. I have always marveled at how belly dancers can shake their booties effortlessly and always wanted to embody the same grace that they exude when dancing. Think Shakira! It looked pretty manageable from what I see in TV talent shows and so I gave it a try. It's actually in my bucket list.

When I attended my first class, I discovered that there was more to it than what meets the eye. Flexibility is important but control is more crucial. I have to learn how to move certain parts of my body - my shoulders, my hips - in isolation. I'm proud to say that I'm improving when it comes to the shoulder movements but when it comes to the hips, err, let's just say I need more practice. More practice and more swag.

There are days when I don't like myself; you know, days when all your little flaws annoy you. Last night was one of those days. And with so many things running through my mind last night, my dancing skills can be compared to a tree stump reluctant to bend at the slightest touch of the wind. Well, you can say I was depressed. And somehow, I thought of quitting altogether.





But I will not.

2 comments:

  1. That's the spirit! Winners never quit, and quitters never win. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not afraid of losing the race, I'm more afraid of not finishing just because I have an inkling that I'll most probably lose. ;P

      Delete