Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Would you donate an organ?

Me? I was thinking about it... and I admit it's not the most comforting thought. I was going home one night and I heard the topic on a radio show and yes, it got me thinking. Organ donation is no doubt a noble act/cause.

Years ago, we made a class paper on this subject - some sort of communication plan on how to promote organ donation. I remember bits and pieces of the paper but cannot quite bring to mind how we were going to convince people to donate.

It's such a big responsibility - donating an organ. Yes, donating might mean you're already dead by the time you become a donor. But look at it this way, you have to really take good care of your body if you want others to benefit from, err, your body parts. Again, it's not the most comforting thought for me but I'd like to do it someday (if my vital parts qualify). I remember the closing remark either the DJ or the guest speaker made (I really can't remember things), something like if your life didn't have much of a purpose, then let your death be purposeful by being an organ donor.

3 comments:

  1. I think I have a clue who the radio commentator was....Augusto "Gus" Abelgas? I mean he's quite an authority on body parts ...errr...organs right?:-DDD Kidding aside, I think that organ donation should be made mandatory by law. What would you do with your rotting liver when you can't feel a thing anymore now that you're Casper's new best friend? Better let someone benefit from something you don't need right? Just hope that they send a thank you note via Ouija :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No dude, it's actually Sam YG, Slick Rick, and Toni Toni :)But, agree Gus is an authority on body parts haha. To your point, I think people want to keep organ donation voluntary to somewhat preserve the "nobility" of the act. But, same thoughts here - your "trash" might be somebody else's treasure so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the Kidney Transplant Network we assist those individuals worldwide who need a transplant. This includes Kidney, Liver, Heart, Stomach, and Lung Transplants. This is accomplished by pro-actively going out in the “general public” and locating those individuals who want to donate an organ. Thru collective efforts we utilize cutting edge technology, Social Media, Referrals, Networking, Non-Profit Organizations, Private & Public Hospitals, Clinics, Hospices, and private donors. Kidney Transplant Network focus is to pro-actively contact those individuals who are interested in donating an organ. You can change a "Life" thru donation so start today!!

    ReplyDelete