Tuesday, February 7, 2012

OHMAYGHAAD #2 or the Daily Countdown to V-Day

I am 25 years old and I am single I’ve been single most of my waking hours. It’s not something that I am ashamed of. What with the scarcity of real men (figuratively and literally) nowadays, it is not an abnormality to find yourself without a boyfriend these days. I know a lot of women who can relate to this. Women who are fulfilled in their own chosen paths; strong women who recognize that life is indeed sweet and that it can be sweeter when you have someone who loves you (and who you love back).

There are certain norms in society that makes a 25-year old woman feel old which men will never be able to feel until they’re pushing 40. It would be hypocritical to say “F*ck social pressure.” because I do feel the pressure of my own biological clock ticking away. More than that, it is that feeling you have that you’ve done most things happily on your own, in your own way and that you want to share these things that make you happy with someone else. This is not desperation talking for the sole reason that “wanting to have someone” and “will die If I will not have someone immediately” are not the same things.

Yes, this post was conceived because Valentine’s Day is just a week away. Most of the time, we singles say that it is just one capitalistic event. Let’s admit, though, that it also makes us contemplate on why we are still single. If you don’t feel this way, lucky you. For me, however, (and for most of my friends) discussions about singledom begin on February faster than you can say 'leap year'. And yes, I admit that sometimes, at the end of a tiring day it would be good to have someone whom you can share the details of your day with; someone who’ll make you swoon every time he smiles at you; someone to simply hold hands with. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment